Picture this its Sunday night – you go to bed with the absolute enthusiastic thought of getting up and getting on that fitness gear and hitting the gym. Next morning you awaken to birds singing and your gym gear is there – get downstairs and have you coffee – then that’s it – the thought sinks in ‘ I don’t want to go – cant be bothered – its boring’
Now some days you will still go and just drag yourself around the machines and weights – you will do your full sets but most probably not your full reps – you will spend more time checking your phone than actually lifting a weight – But face it YOU ARE BORED. So what to do?
We all get bored if the routine is the same – heck even our bodies know the routine and stop developing as well as they should. Change it up – keep it interesting – challenge yourself.
1.If you are on the treadmill or any cardio machine try interval training. This way you can shorten the exercise but work much harder in that time frame.
2. Find a piece of cardio equipment you have not used before – learn how to use it and have fun with it.
3. If you have never done an exercise class before, or if there is a few you haven’t tried – try one and learn something new. Pick up the diary and book yourself into at least one new class a month
4. if you don’t want to leave the house – get online and find an exercise programme. There’s a multitude on you tube and facebook.
There are some days when you just don’t feel it – don’t beat yourself up about it – have a day of rest – just don’t make a habit of it
Now if your body has plateaued and you need to up the anti a bit – try a few variations.
1. If you always do cardio – try free weights. If you always use cable machines – try cardio. If you always use free weights – try cables. You get the gist – challenge the muscles to something different
2. Try kettle bells if you have never tried it. Try plyometric’s – find the boxes and jump on top. Try trx – they are very challenging.
3. Take the weight up a notch – this goes without saying tbh. If you have reached a plateau – then you need to challenge yourself.
So get up on a Monday morning and think Im going to learn something new – Im not going just to work out Im going to socialise a bit, get out the house, challenge myself and watch my shape change.
Go on Challenge your brain and your body – your mind and body will thank you for it!